new to blogadda

Sunday 14 February 2016

oops I just broke that Stereotype

I am a free spirited person who hates being typecast into categories or stereotypes . Talking about stereotypes I must share the following details with you
Did you know that….

a. 69% of men agree that their judgement of women is based on their

looks.

b. 64% of women agree that the judgments passed on them have

affected their ability to reach their true potential.

c. 70%of women agree that majority of judgments on women are from

family members or friends rather than strangers.

d. 72% of women agree that working women face more judgments on

their looks or their clothes than housewives.
Yes these statistics are true and not a figment of my imagination. There figures are taken from the Nihar Naturals #IAmCapable survey conducted by Nielsen India . The above statistics shows how we sterotype others and ourselves.We all use stereotypes, all the time, without knowing it.Each of us has a biased view.We all have limited perspective.Life is a constant struggle.When I look back I find myself thinking what the others will think and accordingly should  I get dressed or act.However I love to dress differently or try new styles and fashion but I always selected clothes or accessories according to the occasion because I know I would not be accepted because of societies set rules.However slowly I tried to break free trying out different outfits and mixing and matching clothes. Since I was breaking a Stereotype that girl should dress in a certain way so there was opposition but I followed my heart and after some time evolved my own style of dressing that I still go by.After spending time observing the attributes of career in the eyes of a man I realized a harsh reality that women are treated differently than men in corporate world. Many women experience unfair judgment and treatment based on stereotypes.Many women lack career advancement partly due to longstanding negative stereotypes that follow women. Women face the challenge of being viewed as having deficiencies in maturity and the ability to take charge of their careers. It is often believed that the women wearing saree would lack the leadership skills that would enable them to run a department or organization. We pay more attention to stereotypes than we think.I am an individual and I am going to break these stereotypes at every opportunity and every stage of my life.The best way is to show my confidence and improve my body language. Show the world that they have to change their mindsets and accept us "women" in all fields of life.Its time to show and prove to the world that we women are capable of all sorts of jobs and we should not be discriminated on the basis of our appearance and clothing. Women are categorized into "Traditional" or "modern".If girls have long hair they are homely feminine and if short they are tomboys. People have fixed mindsets and think girls with long hair are fit to look after home only and they  should not take any profession. I have long hair and I used to wear salwar kameez yet I am a rebel with a cause. I still remember when I passed my 12th all my relatives suggested to me that I should take up home science and they started looking for a suitable
groom for me! When I told them that I want to go for management studies they all discouraged me. When I started learning driving I saw people staring at me in a strange manner as if they have seen an alien driving on the road. I encountered such stereotype in the professional world as well. I must admit that at times it can be tough but like a lone warrior I march on challenging stereotypes and breaking them. I
would like to give a big thanks to Nihar a brand which believes in encouraging and enabling women to achieve their full potential. Society should stop appearance based stereotypes as it affects women's morale and professional progress.We all want freedom from judgement that are passed on .An individual should be judged on creativity and productivity.


“I’m breaking stereotypes based on appearance by sharing my experience for the #IAmCapable activity at BlogAdda in association with Nihar Naturals.”



No comments:

Post a Comment