new to blogadda

Tuesday 15 March 2016

Come play Holi


Each one of us has memorable childhood memories of playing Holi. As a child, I would wake up at 5 o'clock in the morning and start filling all the balloons with water and keep them in a bucket.
Everybody from our society used to gather on the terrace by around 9 or10 o'clock. We all used to throw balloons on people's head and shout Happy Holi. We would play loud music on the roof and get drenched in water.We used to have sweets and play holi with friends and relatives and sometimes with strangers who became friends afterwards. We would throw balloons on people from the balcony. It was a lot of fun. For us in the building it was always 'Girls vs. Boys' which would be a lot of fun. Entire streets and neighborhoods were drenched in color. Everyone was so immersed in red, purple, green and yellow colors that one could not distinguish one from the other. 

There was joy, playfulness, a reaching out to friends and strangers. We spent hours filling buckets of water preparing to have water-balloon-fights with our friends. The night before Holi friends came over to help us fill lots of water balloons in preparation for the balloon fights with friends and neighbors. By the end of the day everyone was multicolored. Holi was an all time favorite festival for me always. Initially I used to declare that I will not play with colors and would stay at home then I used to slyly sit with a bucket on my terrace and throw water on my friends. They used to keep guessing from where the water is coming. Honestly, I used to love that. All I can say is those days were totally fun. I used to sing my favorite holi song Holi Ke Din from the film Sholay and color one and all. 
It was funny to see people behaving strange when they consumed bhang. Market places were flooded with new style pichkaris and we as kids used to ask our parents to get the latest design Pichkaris for us and to drench everybody in the town. My mother also started her preparations early for the holi festival as she made loads of gujiyas, papri, and dahi vadas for the family, guests and relatives. There was great excitement among one and all. Bright colors of gulal filled the air and people took turns in pouring color water over each other. We took special delight in spraying colors on one another with our pichkaris and throwing water balloons on the passers by. Women and senior citizens formed groups or tolis and moved in colonies applying colors and exchanging greetings. Songs, dance on the rhythm of dholak and mouthwatering
Holi delicacies were the best part of the celebrations and I wish that Holi would come more often.





“I’m pledging to #KhulKeKheloHoli this year by sharing my Holi memories at BlogAdda in association with Parachute Advansed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment